CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
LOUISIANA ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOL LIBRARIANS
Revised March 2009
Article I – Name
The name of the organization shall be the Louisiana Association of School Librarians.
Article II – Mission
The mission of this organization shall be to promote and to maintain high standards of school librarianship, to serve as a medium for the exchange of ideas, and to encourage a continuing and critical evaluation of school library service.
Article III – Membership
Any person holding membership in the Louisiana Library Association shall be eligible for membership.
Article IV – Officers
Section 1 – Names of Officers
The elected officers of the organization shall be a President, a First Vice-President/President-Elect, a Second Vice-President, and a Secretary. A Parliamentarian shall be appointed by the President.
Section 2 – Eligibility of Officers
All officers must be members of the Louisiana Library Association and the Louisiana Association of School Librarians. All nominees shall have been members of the Louisiana Association of School Librarians for one year prior to nomination.
Section 3 – Election of Officers
Officers shall be elected by mail ballot through the Louisiana Library Association office. The term of new officers shall begin July 1st after their election and continue through June 30th of the following year, with the exception of the Secretary, who will be elected for two years.
Section 4 – Vacancies
Should a vacancy occur, the President, with the approval of the Executive Board, shall appoint a new officer to serve the remainder of the unexpired term.
Article V – Executive Board
Section 1 – Membership of the Board
The Executive Board shall be composed of the President, First Vice-President, Second Vice-President, Secretary, Parliamentarian, Immediate Past President, all committee members, the librarian sponsor of the President of the Louisiana Teenage Librarians Association, and the Ex-Officio member as approved by the Executive Board.
Section 2 – Duties and Powers of the Executive Board
The Executive Board shall be vested with administrative responsibility and authority, including adoption of a budget.
Article VI – Meetings
There shall be one meeting of the general membership annually during the conference of the Louisiana Library Association.
The Executive Board shall meet at least three times each calendar year. These meetings and any other deemed necessary shall be called by the President.
Article VII – Quorum
The assembled members at a regularly scheduled meeting shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
Article VIII – Amendments
This Constitution may be amended by a majority vote of the members present at a regularly scheduled general membership meeting, provided that the membership has been notified in writing of the proposed change at least thirty days prior to the meeting. The Bylaws and Official Policies may be amended by a majority vote the members present at the general meeting held during the annual conference.
Article I – Duties of Officers
Section 1- President
The duties of the President shall be to preside at general meetings of
the association and at Executive Board meetings, to appoint committees, and serve as a member of the Louisiana Library Association Conference Program Committee in order to coordinate all activities for the annual conference. The President shall serve as an ex-officio member of all committees of the organization (with the exception of the nominating committee) and serve on other reciprocating Executive Boards as approved by the LASL Executive Board.
Section 2 – First Vice-President
The duties of the First Vice-President shall be to act for the President
in the event of absence or inability to preside, to undertake any special tasks assigned by the President, and to initiate and coordinate the major function sponsored by LASL at the annual LLA conference.
Section 3 – Second Vice-President
The duties of the Second Vice-President shall be to assist the
President by initiating and planning the programs sponsored by LASL during the annual LLA Conference, to chair the Continuing Education Committee, to become aware of all policies of the organization, to observe the activities of the President, to attend all Executive Board meetings, and to automatically move up in the line of officers from Second Vice-President to First Vice-President.
Section 4 – Secretary
The duties of the Secretary shall be to record minutes of all official
meetings, annual and Executive, and to be responsible for such correspondence as the President requests. A copy of all minutes shall be sent to the LLA office for inclusion in the official records of the Association.
Section 5 – Parliamentarian
The duties of the Parliamentarian shall be to be familiar with the
constitution, official policies and bylaws of the organization and to advise the presiding officer at all general meetings and Executive Board meetings on questions of procedure in transacting the business of the organization. The Parliamentarian shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Constitution, Bylaws, and Official Policies Committee.
Article II – Committees
Section 1 - Standing Committees
A. NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Shall select and present to the LASL Executive Board at the Fall meeting a list of all candidates. After the presentation to the LASL Executive Board, the list of candidates shall be presented to the Louisiana Library Association’s Nominating Committee for the mail ballot election.
B. STUDENT RELATIONS COMMITTEE
Shall be responsible for the Louisiana Teenage Librarians Association.
C. CONSTITUTION, BYLAWS, AND OFFICIAL POLICY
Shall receive or initiate recommendations in regard to revision of the
Constitution, Bylaws, and Official Policy, submitting such recommendations to the Executive Board for further action. The committee chair shall maintain a compilation of official policies currently in effect.
D. STANDARDS COMMITTEE
Shall study all official standards which affect school library media
programs and make recommendations to the Board for further action.
E. PROJECTS COMMITTEE
Shall receive or initiate recommendations for projects for the
Association, presenting such recommendations to the Executive Board for further action.
F. MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
Shall suggest and sponsor activities to increase membership in the Louisiana Association of School Librarians, be responsible for the registration of those attending the general meeting, and record and maintain useful data on the membership of the organization.
G. SUE HEFLEY EDUCATOR AWARD COMMITTEE
Shall disseminate information about the Sue Hefley Educator Award, distribute applications, and determine the winner. Applications are due in the LLA office by December 1st of each year.
H. LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
Shall be responsible for developing resolutions and recommendations to LLA concerning legislation concerning school library programs. The chairman of the committee shall serve on the LLA Legislative Committee.
I. CONTINUING EDUCATION COMMITTEE
Shall coordinate and plan classes and workshops sponsored by LASL for librarians and other teaching personnel.
J. PUBLICITY COMMITTEE
Shall publicize the activities of the association, its meeting, and its programs.
K. SCHOOL LIBRARY MEDIA SPECIALIST AWARD COMMITTEE
Shall disseminate information about the School Library Media Specialist Award, distribute applications, and determine the winner. Applications are due in the LLA office by December 1st of each year.
Section 2 – Reports
Each standing committee chairperson shall present written reports to the President, Secretary, and Newsletter editor in addition to the verbal reports given at each Executive Board meeting. An annual summary report shall be submitted to the President and Secretary prior to June 30th each year.
- The retiring President shall inform incoming officers of their duties prior to July 1st.
2. The LLA office shall serve as the depository for all Louisiana Association of School Librarians official records.
3. The Student Relations Committee shall send a record of the officers and the activities of the Louisiana Teenage Librarians Association to the depository each year.
4. The past chair of the Student Relations Committee shall remain on the committee for an extra year in an advisory capacity.
5. The Louisiana Association of School Librarians shall send a representative to the American Library Association Annual Conference. The representative must attend the AASL Affiliate Assembly. Order of priority shall be: First Vice-President, Second Vice-President, Secretary. Said representative or representatives may be reimbursed at the discretion of the Board. The President shall appoint a representative if none of these officers can attend. A second representative may be chosen by the President with consideration given to person currently on AASL Committees or those expressing an interest in attending.
6. Standing Committees shall be composed of three members with staggered three year terms. The senior member shall normally serve a one year term as chair. The original appointment of members of a committee shall be made by the President in consultation with the Second Vice-President. The length of service of each member shall be designated at the time of appointment. Committee members may be removed by the President for non-attendance at fifty percent (50%) of regular meetings within a year. The President will appoint new committee members when vacancies occur.
7. A member of the Modisette Award Committee for School Libraries may be invited to attend the Executive Board meetings.
8. A two-member committee from the site city of the annual LLA Conference shall work with the LLA Local Arrangements Committee to coordinate major LASL events at the conference.
9. A member of the Guidelines for Library Media Programs in Louisiana Schools Committee shall be appointed to serve as an ex-officio member of the LASL Standards Committee to lend continuity to LASL involvement in ongoing standards revision.